20101003

Platypus Fuffalump's Journey

I got an order from a very good friend to make a Fuffalump for her nephew.  She wasn't specific about which Fuffalump but said he did like Perry the Platypus from the show Phineas and Ferb.  Me too!  My nephew actually gave me a shirt of Perry and we both have the stuffed animal which I made a detective hat for each.  Yes, I love "platypi."  I have collected them ever since High School.

 First thing I do when creating a Fuffalump is look through my stashes of fabrics.  I pulled out what I thought to be good "boy" fabrics.  In the process, I came across some navy blue and gray socks that my friend had given me to be used in a future creation.  I thought, how perfect!  Soon after, I found an old fleece sweater in my stash that couldn't be worn anymore.  It matched the socks, including the snowflake design!

 
Next up was to create a pattern.  I decided to use one of the sweater snowflakes for his bill and the sock bits would be legs.

 
Once I cut out the fabric, I pinned it, sewed it, stuffed it and then hand sewed the bill, eyes and legs to the body.  I tried attaching a tongue but it just didn't look right.  Platypi are quiet animals, sneaky like Perry.  Something was missing though...


I showed it to Jason and he agreed with me that something needed to be decorated on his back: beads, buttons, embroidery?   I actually imagined a swirly design on his back while I was sewing him.  So, I got out my bin of embroidery floss.  Voila!  Hope my friend likes it.  I sent her some images.



No comments:

Post a Comment