20120228

SkekSil The Chamberlain From The Dark Crystal

I was commissioned by a good friend to do SkekSil the Chamberlain from The Dark Crystal movie which is a fantasy film from 1982 directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz with concepts by Brian Froud.  The character of the Chamberlain is probably most remembered from his constant comment, "mmmMMMmmmm."  I was sure to give my husband, Jason, a good dose of "mmmMMMmmmm" while making Chamberlain.  Great fun for me.

I thought long and hard about what the Chamberlain's basic structure should be and decided on wire.  In the beginning of the movie, he is stripped of his royal attire and appears, unclothed, looking much like an defeathered, skinny bird.



I wanted the Chamberlain to have removable layers.  He is wearing ragged scraps of clothes for most of the movie.  I decided to use yarn for his tattered sleeves.  I think they look like he has been refeathered.

Then, the royal dressings.

SkekSil the Chamberlain took me 16 1/2 hours to make, not including the time I spent watching the movie and pausing in awe to admire the work that went into making SkekSil the actor/puppet.   The materials I used were wire, t-shirt, sock, yarn, suede (thank you Lili), metal tags, felt, beads, elastic, velvet, cordouroy, an upholstery sample and eyelash yarn.  If you want me to make a unique creation for you, please e-mail me at m8knf8ces3@yahoo.com  There are also fun things to buy on my etsy store: CreationsByJDB

No comments:

Post a Comment