20121018

Night Mary Stein

Night Mary Stein Art Doll by Jennifer D Burrell
Mary woke from a dream.  She is now in a strange land.  Her memories are jumbled as she looks at her hands.  “What mad scientist made me?” she wonders.

     I'm proud to present Night Mary Stein, my third Art Doll.  "Night Mary" comes actually from a slip up when I was sketching and making notes.  I wrote down nightmary instead of nightmare.  A great mistake as Mary Shelley was the author of Frankenstein.  The idea of making a mix of Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas and the Bride of Frankenstein was milling around in my head for the past month.  I have been watching Halloween themed movies and posting daily quotes from the movies on my personal Facebook page.   I absolutely love the character Sally but I couldn't get the image of Helena Bonham Carter as Elizabeth, Frankenstein's bride monster out of my head.  Her face was cut and mended into wonderful seams.  Her orange hair was barely there due to fire.  The push to make and finish Night Mary Stein came in a Call to Artists from City Arts Factory in downtown Orlando.  Their Third Annual Dia de los Muertos/Monster Factory Exhibit.  The opening will be October 18th, 2012, tonight, from 6-9:00 pm and my Mary will be there!  Please stop by if you can.  And, if you want a treat this Halloween, watch The Bride of Frankenstein 1935, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein 1994 and The Nightmare Before Christmas, featuring female monsters stitched together by mad scientist.  Well, in my case, a mad Artist!  Mwahahaaaaa....  

Preliminary Sketch
Mary Stein in Process

Hand dyed fabric by Deborah Gregory

     In making Night Mary Stein, I purposefully made her asymmetrical as a sign of madness.  Also, having one let longer would give her a limp and awkwardness when she patrols the streets looking for her mate.  Once I had Mary's body sewn, it was time to make her dress.  I started pulling out red fabrics, pink fabrics, prints, and then I found it.  I had a fabric with instructions and pattern for a stuffed rabbit toy printed on it.  I use to love these types of fabrics as a kid because all you had to buy was the fabric.  No cutting of thin pattern paper, pinning, marking and cutting.  It was all there.  I imagined the mad scientist of Mary saw these directions as help to tell her which parts of the body were to go where and how to stitch together a new body from pieces of other bodies.  Then, like in the Bride of Frankenstein where they just grabbed the laboratory white sheet, what was on hand, to cover her, I would use the directions to cover my Mary Stein.  There was just one problem.  I didn't want to completely cover up the beautiful hand dyed fabric.  So, I pieced together the instruction fabric with stiff, transparent fabric.  The transparent fabric reminds me of my transparent sculptural dresses I made in graduate school.

Sculptural dresses now hanging in our back yard


Mary asks, “Will I have a mate soon? Alone Bad. Friend Good."

1 comment: